Over 250 MOR volunteers contributed nearly 24,000 hours in 2012. Needless to say, we couldn’t provide many of our Museum services without our talented and dedicated volunteers, and they provide vital support to the Museum and our community at large. In return, MOR volunteers enjoy the camaraderie of working with visitors, staff, and their counterparts; opportunities for life-long learning; and the satisfaction of knowing they are making a valuable contribution.
Volunteer opportunities range from staffing activity carts, to preparing fossils, to helping with administrative tasks such as running shows in the Hager Auditorium, joining a benefit event planning committee, helping with security, putting together mailings, and answering phones. Plus, each summer volunteer interpreters at the Living History Farm demonstrate the day-to-day activities of a Montana farm in the 1890s.
For those who are interested in leading tours and interacting with and educating our visitors, we invite you to consider becoming an MOR docent. Docents give tours of our exhibits year around. Registration for new docents takes place each August for the fall docent-training program.
2013 Volunteer Board
- President – Lynne Barnes
- Vice President – Doris Henson
- Secretary – Barbara Brown
- Docent Chair – Roger Barnes
- Newsletter Editors – Merry Shyne & Meredith Lewis
- Pete Rieke
- Michelina Kazeminejad
- Beth Naert
For more information about volunteer opportunities at the Museum of the Rockies, please call the Volunteer Office at 406.994.6611. Applications can be accessed on this page or at the front desk of the Museum. Please see our list of current openings above to see if there is a position available in which you might be interested.
Please complete and email to email@example.com
Current Volunteer Needs
- Docent - If you are interested in continuing education, and would like to give tours to groups of all ages in the Museum, then maybe being a Docent is for you. An exciting 10-week training program begins in late September. Registration takes place July 1through September 15. Sign up early to get a head start on the reading and pre-training assignments. For more information call 406.994.6611
- Security: volunteers work one 2-hour shift/week patrolling the Museum to make sure visitors and exhibits are safe, assisting the Museum Security staff, and providing customer service to Museum visitors.
- Benefit Event Planning Committee: Volunteers help with the planning of our benefit events including the Museum Ball (February), Wine Classic (July), and the TwoFly (September) to help fundraise for the Museum by soliciting event sponsors, auction donors and by selling event tickets.
- Living History Farm: If you're interested in being a part of our 1890's Montana Homestead please call 406.994.6611 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We're looking for volunteers interested in interpreting inside the Tinsley Home, working the gardens, or becoming a part of our blacksmith shop! Volunteers must commit to at least one 4-hour shift per week for the summer.